Ethical Traveler (ET), a project of the Earth Island Institute (EII), is a nonprofit organization, founded to “empower travelers to change the world.” We seek to use the economic clout of tourism to protect human rights and the environment. Ethical Journeys is a collection of responsible and ethical tours developed by ET and our partners to maximize benefits to host communities and serve as a fundraiser for ET. We have completed a handful of pilot tours the past few years and the program is growing year-by-year.
Position Vacancy: Ethical Journeys Director
– Develop and manage the Ethical Journeys program
– Liaise with external partners, ET staff and EII to facilitate program
– Create and/or update program processes and documentation as needed
– Manage and coordinate the development of Ethical Journeys tours with external travel providers, ET staff and trip leaders, and EII from inception to the completion of the tours.
– Liaise and coordinate with Ethical Traveler’s executive director, EII representatives, and external travel providers to develop contracts and agreements per Ethical Journeys tour.
– Review and edit travel itineraries
– Review itinerary budgets
– Recruit trip leaders for Ethical Journeys as needed
– Review and evaluate completed Ethical Journeys tours with external travel providers and trips leaders to improve future tours and operations.
– Ensure donations for completed Ethical Journeys tours are received by EII
– Manage and update Ethical Journeys page on ET website via WordPress
– Create marketing collateral for Ethical Journeys tours as needed
– Market Ethical Journeys tours on ET’s social media pages
– Research and develop new marketing strategies for Ethical Journeys tours
– Advocate of responsible and ethical tourism
– Knowledge of tour development including creating itineraries and budgets
– Knowledge of nonprofit fundraising strategies
– Resourceful self-starter with strong problem solving and time management skills.
– Proficient in MS Office
– Familiar with WordPress for website content updates
– Familiar with social media marketing and outreach
– Preference for candidates based in the SF Bay Area but open to other locations for the right person.
Work Location: Telecommute
Hours: This role has a flexible work schedule and averages about 10-20 hours a month.
Position is primarily a volunteer role with a small honorarium at the end of calendar year and a possibility to lead one of the year’s trips. May lead to a paying position for the right person.
How to apply:
Please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. In your cover letter, please let us know why you’d be a good candidate for this position.
Application deadline: January 3, 2014